Following on from my previous post, here are my tips to making the best use of a password vault on your PC:
- If your vault has a password generator, use it on all future passwords and over time replace as many existing passwords as possible
- Use a strong password for any vault Internet accounts
- Use a different and highly secure password for local vault encryption
- Learn all the features in the tool and how to make use of them
- Install the vault on all frequently used devices
Finally, always use two factor authentication on critical accounts even if they are managed by the vault. At a minimum ensure a second factor is used on all email accounts.
The caveat for all of the above is do so only if it meets your requirements and risk assessment. Security is not a continuum of improvement, but a scale whose tipping point is usability.